Friday, April 27, 2012

Albums, Albums, Albums

I have created some new music lately, but this post isn't really about that. The newer songs were made in one sitting, preferably a little after midnight. For some reason, I feel relaxed when I make things when it's all dark and quiet. 

Anyways, I'm here to talk about some new music that I have gotten into, or at least discovered. First up, are the Screaming Females. I've heard an album of theirs before, but it was long ago. I had come across them via Dinosaur Jr. (J Mascis), and they appeared to have some strengths to their music. It's basically just...rough punches to the face. Well, your mind's face. I have finally listened to their new album, Ugly, and it's quite an interesting piece. The first song just really grinds its beats and distortion right into your ears and stays there. It builds up from there, though it does blur a tad near the middle. I spotted some yawns here and there, but I generally liked this album as a whole. If you really like rhythmic punchy songs littered with female vocals, then definitely keep an eye out for this one. 

Another random group that I've recently come across are the incredibly catchy Japanese duo, Pasteboard. I could be wrong, but it seems like they only released one album under this project of theirs, but it's insanely wicked. The first song just grabs your...well, I guess most would call it "shoegaze" with an organized "umph"? Anyways, the whole album really clicks together well (Title is called, Glitter), and it's a nice creation that works well on a droopy day. 

Now, I've saved the best for last. I've recently gone to see a small little show in Buffalo, and it was just...amazing as hell. The performance included both The Curious Mystery, and The Hive Dwellers. If you don't know already, Calvin Johnson leads The Hive Dwellers. They are releasing a new album soon, but if you caught their live shows then you were able to buy it right there. Of course, I did just that. I didn't know what I was getting into with The Hive Dwellers, but it was worth it. Their songs are really simple and sorta like a distant cousin of...beat poetry? Something like that. I do have to say that my favorite song of theirs is probably "Get In". Seriously, just go search that song by them on Youtube. The lyrics of the song? Basically it's made up of all the known derogatory terms society has ever created. Is it meant to hurt all the included and mentioned? No, and that's the best part. As simply stated- get in. As for The Curious Mystery, their music is unique. I highly suggest searching up "Night Ride Reeling" or "Black Sand". You really won't regret it, and I can promise you that. 

I guess that's about it for now. I have been in the music creating mood as of late, so you might expect a couple of more random songs before I take a short break again. Also, stay tuned for more blog posts!

-Xochimilco

No comments:

Post a Comment